Monday, December 2, 2013

My Least Favorite Games Of The 7th Generation

Okay, so I tackled some of my favorite games of the last generation, it only seems natural to go in the other direction.

Like the last time, I can only comment on games I've actually played. And I'll add the caveat that this time, you'll probably find a reason to really be angry. But, again, that's on you. Feelings and all that.

So without further ado, I'll be getting behind these blast doors...
Final Fantasy XIII:


Yeah.. Original right? But there's a very good reason for this that isn't just a puffed up chest saying "I'm a fan, I want everything the way it was," even though I've been a life long fan of the series, because, lets face it: Every Final Fantasy game is different, there really isn't a "Way it was." Fans know this (or should, somewhere deep down).

My problem is it simply didn't resonate with me.

I didn't like the combat system, my mind simply doesn't think like that and I could never adequately find the flow like others did. The story felt brain dead and lifeless compared to a lot of other game that aren't even in the Final Fantasy series. The corridor based settings were beautiful, yet limiting. When the game gets to the one open area it's still just one big, limited, open area, with no depth or reason to care for it.

The only thing that makes this worse is that Square felt the need to make an (understandably) bigger return on all the meticulous work they did to build such a beautiful game engine, and made 2 sequels to the game instead of moving on.

Now, most would probably think: If your a purist, you probably hate the idea of sequels to mainline games... But I actually really liked X-2.. In fact, I may have liked that dress-up game almost more then it's prior title (I know I got super pissed when I didn't 100% the game because I missed talking to a Moogle at the beginning...).

I'm fine with story continuations, these games ask for that treatment most of the time, but this game alone made me so weary that I'm almost unwilling to try the next two (even after having peaked in on either the demos or people playing them), because of it.

On a deeper, personal level, this and Metal Gear Rising: Revengence -when it wasn't Revengence yet- which incidentally I didn't like what I played of it either, were the two games that made me feel okay to get a 360 over a PS3, because I didn't have the money to cover the much more expensive system when I traded in my Wii for a system that wouldn't collect dust (sorry, but that was the reality in my house). The idea that I'd be able to have the next Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games on a non-Sony system, when I really couldn't afford the Sony system to play them in their native habitat, was a big push for me. So to have them sort of blow back on me like this just felt terrible.

Quite honestly, through it all, it's the only game this generation that I've played, that I couldn't push myself to finish. That says a lot, and possibly should have been what I lead with.

Silent Hill 2/3 HD:


My God, in a world stuffed with demonic abominations, you'd think that these classics wouldn't be twisted into abominations themselves.

This game was riddled with issues, all stemming from Konami's mismanagement of the entire thing. It's easy at first to blame the HD upgraders, Hijinx Studios, but it was all on Konamil; who didn't supply them with a final build of the original.. Because they had lost it... But bits an pieces, asking Hijinx to rebuild entire sections of it themselves, on top of being made to rush it to market.

Then there was just the whole "Month of Silent Hill" thing, where Konami, attempted, where they flooded the market with Silent Hill games, without actually marketing any of them very much (amongst other games they did the same thing to, in the same move.), expecting us to simply know through some sort of ESP that it was happening, and crying themselves to sleep when it didn't pan out (and Silent Hill: Book of Memories being pushed back.. A lot)

Silent Hill 2 is my all time favorite games, but playing again in this state was unbearable -which only made a speedrun in the first playthrough seem like the best idea, instead of something to do in a replay get more out of the game. The non-connective Silent Hill 3, a game I don't have a whole lot of love for aside from it's main series name, was enough to keep me interested, but not much further then to get through it so I didn't think I bought half of a half a game.

Scott Pilgram vs. The World: The Game:


My (Insert another deity here -God seems tired). This game was a game so meta that it broke at the seems, in all the worst ways. Beloved for being a decent brawler, it was all the massive bugs in the game that Ubisoft never really bothered to smooth out, that dragged the entire package down.

I played the hell out of this game, but it wasn't because I was in love with it.. I wanted the very easy to get 100% on this game, but couldn't simply achieve that like I should have, in one or two goes, because the game kept freezing, corrupting saves or simply not giving me the achievements/special things. So I trudged on, played the game through, completely, with all the characters, 10 times each, to get the one thing I was wanting all along..

Was it excessive? Yeah. But it didn't have to be. It never should have been.

Factor in the fact that Ubisoft, for whatever reason, saw it fit to release a DLC 3 years after the games release, out of no where, and finally add in online multiplayer that probably should have existed day 1.

My Favorite HD Remake Of The 7th Generation:

This one's a hard one, but I'd probably say Resident Evil 4. Capcom somehow managed to go about porting the game to us without any higher offense then asking us if we wanted to buy the game again.

No comments:

Post a Comment