Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thought: PS4 Launch Coverage Is Surprisingly Relaxed...



Seriously, while I waited around all day Friday, I was reading, and...  I felt like I was reading more about the Xbox ONE then the new system that just came out. Now I'm still not seeing a whole lot of hub-bub about it.

Thing is, I can't decide on whether or not that's a good thing or not.


I mean, okay, a day or two before we heard about a few random cases of "hardware failure" and that Sony was looking into it. And yeah, Friday, EA, like they're ones to talk (*Cough* Battlefied 4 *Cough*), was talking about how there are stability issues with the PS4s Firmware.. But.. It was a surprisingly relaxed day, and I expected a lot more.

I'm not talking about "You just got to the end of the level and grabbed the flag" Mario-like fanfare complete with fireworks, but.. Something.. Like, it's probably no surprise now, if you've ever read anything else here, that I follow Destructoid, but basically all it felt like they did (not judging, just saying- I know they were VERY stressed out over there) was repost their collected list of reviews (which, reviews are possibly the hardest part of this whole thing, given the time they take to do, and the amount of content they needed to review in a short period on a limited staff) and another article about UI tips.. And that was really it.

I kept refreshing my page over and over again waiting to hear about failures, or PSN going down, or.. Even though I hate coverage like this.. People shooting each other in parking lots over this. But there really wasn't any.

Frankly, the weeks before felt so much more alive then this launch felt; and I still can't decide if thats a good thing or not. Calm can come before the storm, but calm can simply just be calm, and we should take it at that face value. I want to take it for the latter, but optimism is a new area that I'm trying out these days, the ground is still shaky for me.

I don't know. But the calm is so thick I couldn't go without saying something about it. I feel like I'm choking on it.

(UPDATE: Not so relaxed any more. There have been some squawking about hardware failures, but its impossible to say how many systems are actually effected by this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment