Saturday, November 16, 2013

Question: Should You Sell Your Current Console?



This time it's an important question if your thinking about going next-gen sooner, rather then later: Should you sell your Current Console?

See, the longer you wait, the lower those values (trade-in or direct sale) on these systems goes down, and they probably won't go up again for over a decade.. I've also got this (cynical) theory going that the PS3/360 generation isn't going to be nearly as popular later on, in hindsight, and that having consoles from that generation isn't going to be worth much to a gamer unless they really want to play Gears or Uncharted, or something. It will be more nostalgia for specific games, and not the library in general or the hardware itself.

Any way, semantics aside, if it was a prior generation, before the one that ended yesterday, then I'd say "Sure" if only because, while often nostalgic, I rarely have ever had the need to go back and play many things on them, what with backwards compatibility and the rise of ports/emulators (which.. Yeah.. can be costly -for ports-, but whatever). Sure, I kind of regret it now, because having the hardware would be cool, but I also have to remind myself that I've had to move more then I've ever wanted to in my life, and should I have to do it again, lugging that stuff with me is a real burden. 

Now though? No way. Or, I'd say at least not in the first few years of a generation. Not with both Sony and Microsoft being so ambiguous about how they see backwards compatibility. 

Right now, this is the only way I know I'll be able to play some of my favorite games again, unless I plan to rebuy them on the PC (which can be a viable, cheap, choice, as long as Steam and such still exist at a later date).

As part of my looking into how to save on the next gen, I thought about selling my 360 and all my games, but was talked out of it buy someone close to me. Even though it was still on my mind, Microsoft made it pretty clear that "If you want to play some games, we're going to have to refer you to the Xbox 360." Factor in the gaps between releases that is very normal during the start of any generation, and it's sort of a no brainer to me -They've made this new generation a generation where you needed the old one to supplement the new, which is.. Completely weird. 

Now all I'm doing is trying to sell the games that I really don't think I'll play again. I've got some 40 games sitting near my desk right now that I've got to start looking for a new home for. (I've got a guy who may buy them, but he's taking forever to price them and it's making me wait longer then I'd like -I really want to sell them as a lot and be done with them, so.. If you need 40 360 games to, I don't know, give as a gift to someone who's just now buying a cheaper 360, and are willing to spend a few hundred dollars -negotiable, within reason- go to the about me tab and mail me, I'll try to get back to you ASAP and we can talk.. I still want to give my guy time, but the closer Christmas comes, the more and more I'm feeling that I'll be losing more then gaining.)

Any way, getting away from myself on a tangent again, what do you think? Do you keep your consoles and games forever, or do you trade them in? Or, maybe more imporantly, do you think you think things have changed so much this past generation, leading into this one, that you should, now?

No comments:

Post a Comment