Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dear Microsoft...



Hi Mic-y, I'll try to keep this short. I know you've got a lot on your plate these next few weeks.

I was updating my OS last night and when I was looking at the bundles of joy you had to offer, I noticed something. I noticed that I could download Internet Explorer 11. Thats nice.. But.. No thanks.

Actually, a question: Why the hell would you make 11, when 10 doesn't really work very well as it sits now?

I mean, I had to stop using your browser because I could barely get the thing to stop spazzing out on me hourly. Because I couldn't do a lot of the things that I actually need a browser for, in my week to week, like print coupons (so I can save more money, so I can buy more of your products.. Maybe?). Hell, I couldn't even use it from time to time because it'd simply be far too slow to function.

I could be far more detailed if I wasn't writing this months after having moved on from your browsing platform because of all those issues I've chosen to leave by the wayside. Why would I invest precious memory in remembering something that pissed me off so much that I uprooted my entire way of doing things to move on from?

And no, don't try to tell me to disable add-ons, that all will be fine if I do; I have a scant few add-ons, and almost all of them are add-ons we all need in our day to day, PC, lives. And the one that we don't? You make it!

Yeah, thats right, I shouldn't have to disable your Bing Bar simply because you can't make your browser work with something you also make! Something you pretty much require we only use with that browser!

Now, I may have fibbed a little before when I said, "No Thanks," because I did dip into your bowl and took one.. Forgive me for being curious.. But, looking at it, I don't see how it's all that different.

In fact, it seems so un-different that I just opened it now and it took over a minute to load. My computer isn't bad at all, other browsers, even Firefox -that I left to come back to IE, because flash was crashing it every 5 minutes- loaded faster then this, and those guys are supposed to be on the shallow end of the browser pool these days.

Chrome? That takes just a second or two. I even have that set to pre-open a few pages that I go to everyday, so I don't even have to think about where to go; and some how faster then simply getting the ball rolling on your browser.

Just maybe I'll find a nugget of something different in it, if I can get it to outpace a slug, but, frankly, I don't really want to have to put the time into it.

So, seriously Microsoft, please stop making new things on top of old platforms before upgrading to a new one; before you've even fixed the plethora of issues with the last one. Shit (pardon my French), I wasn't even aware 10 was in full release, for some reason I thought it was still in beta/public testing. Is there even a line anymore?

All the best,
Me

P.S. Don't tell me to contact your support with my issues. I'm already having enough trouble getting through to them about other things, to congest the situation with this too. Just make better programs, and stop shoving the work onto support that can't handle our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment